Monday, September 10, 2012

NYRR BRONX 10-MILE RACE RECAP

In my opinion, there’s a big difference between running and racing. When I run, it’s for fun. When I race, it’s for REAL.

I had 19 miles on the agenda for Sunday to RUN. I didn’t realize that 10 of those miles would be to RACE.

My alarm went off at 5:20am that morning as expected. It was much more painful than anticipated but after a small coffee and Cliff bar, I was out the door. I planned to run a few miles uptown to the subway to meet P. From there, we would venture to the Bronx for our race.

In case you were wondering what it looked like when I started my run at 6am on Sunday.

I signed up for NYRR’s Bronx 10-Mile race with G& P, two of my fabulous work friends.  I was looking forward to the training distraction and somehow convinced them both to spend their Sunday morning running with me in the Bronx.  Honestly, I think they just wanted a reason for a delicious brunch.  I don’t blame them. I did too.

Once at the race, I snuck P into my corral. We both wanted to try to run 9:00 miles so I offered to pace her with my trusty Garmin. I didn’t have any expectations for this race. I didn’t want to push it since I already ran 4 miles that morning and had another 5 waiting for me when everyone else was done.
Who's excited?!?!? THIS GIRL!

P and I split up right before mile 4. I felt really good and kept running at my comfortable yet speedy pace. I had no clue how I fast I was going so I decided to take a look down at the Garmin. WHOA BABY! I started seeing times in the 8:00’s. Are you kidding me?  That’s when my mind snapped in sync legs. I realized that I wasn’t running, I was racing.

Action photo! Like the slight tilt?

The next few miles were at my typical race pace. I felt great physically as my spirits were through the roof. I was so psyched to be hitting numbers like I ran before my ankle injury and beginning marathon training. LA was back and feeling bold.

The last mile didn’t feel fantastic but I had a feeling that a PR (Personal Record) was in my future. I had no clue what my last 10 mile race time was but just the thought of beating it kept my legs running to the end. I crossed the finish line at 1:25:50.


Sex/
Age


Bib


Team


City


State


Country

Age
Place

Net
Time

Pace/
Mile

AG
Time
AG
Gender
Place


AG %
Hobson
Laura
F25
5208
0
Tampa
FL
USA
2114
478
131
1:25:50
08:35
1:25:50
633
57.89 %


The energy of this race was awesome! The course was a somewhat straight shot and didn’t feel unbearably hilly. At various points in the race, we passed fellow runners which provided bursts of energy. It was uplifting to see the speedsters pass us by and also exciting to encourage the runners that were not far behind. I even passed G once!

Post-race photos with G & P

After the race we snapped pictures, stretched, and headed home. I got off the subway uptown and somehow ran my final 5 miles.  I was relatively pain free except for some IT Band soreness and ankle aches in the final 2 miles. I tried to run the East River and failed so I weaved in and out of Manhattan streets until the Garmin beeped at 19 and I arrived at my building.

Actually, I technically ran 19.2 miles yesterday. I thought the final .2 was necessary for my training. I am running 26.2 on November 4th so I thought it was cute? Can you tell I was feeling an excess of endorphins?

Once home, I tried my first ice bath. Fellow marathon friends and running blogs highly suggest them for recovery after long runs. I’m trying my very best to avoid any and all injuries so this seemed like a good idea. However, I probably should have googled “how to do an ice bath” before attempting it. I threw on a sweatshirt and grabbed my freezer’s ice bin thinking that was all I needed. It was not. Apparently you have to buy a large bag of ice to ensure its enough ice to do the trick. Otherwise you look like this…
I might need some more ice next time...

After stretching and showering I met back up with the girls for the much awaited and heavily debated post-race brunch. We all needed to reward ourselves for a successful morning.

In the end, I set a new 10-mile PR (1:25:50) and ran my farthest distance to date (19 miles). I spent the rest of the day with various friends bouncing all over the city and ended the weekend with homemade ice cream sandwiches courtesy of Insomnia cookies. Now that’s a successful Sunday if you ask me.

I felt relieved that I ended the training week on such a positive note. I mentioned in my previous post that I was discouraged about my training hiccups around Labor Day weekend. In the end, I recovered and hit all of my scheduled miles. I did my first two-a-day work out on Wednesday to kick start my return to reality. I ran 6 miles in the morning with M and then a final 4 on the treadmill that night. Thanks to the VMAs on Thursday, I actually ran a second night in a row on the treadmill to knock off the miles. I haven’t been on a treadmill in months so it was nice to let the TV provide some entertainment. It also was a relief to justify the monthly gym dues that I have been bemoaning all marathon training.

40 miles for the week isn’t too shabby if you ask me.  

LAST WEEK

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday (flex)
TOTAL
TOTAL (w flex)
TFK Plan
8
REST
7
6
REST
19
6
40
46
LA
REST
X
10
5
REST
6
19 (Bronx 10 Miler + 9)
40
J


Sunday was exactly the confidence boost that I needed in my training. I hit all of my scheduled miles and passed a distance which makes me think that November 4th is within reach.  

Today starts a new week with another exciting race on the horizon! I’m trying to make a TFK run tonight after work and then going to play the rest of the week by ear. I will let my body dictate my rest days for the week.  

Saturday morning I take off with K to visit S in Philly. We all signed up to run the Philly Rock & Roll Half Marathon for the second year in a row. I can’t wait for some time with my sweat sisters in the City of Brotherly Love. Plus, we have brunch reservations (again) and it’s definitely going to get us all to the 13.1 mile finish.  

THIS WEEK

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday (flex)
TOTAL
TOTAL (w flex)
TFK Plan
7
REST
7
6
REST
11
6
31
37
LA
7
REST/ Strength/ Massage
REST/ Yoga
7
6
REST
13
(Philly R&R Half)
33
37


One more thing...FUNDRAISING!

The October 5th deadline is approaching.

Have you donated yet?

If so, THANKS!!!!!!!

If not, you still have time J


Lots of love and laughs.

XOXO
L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment