Wednesday, September 5, 2012

THE TWO MONTH COUNTDOWN

The TWO MONTH countdown is officially on! I know that I’m a day late on this revelation but a 3 hour travel delay with an impromptu landing in Raleigh put a damper on yesterday’s intentions to blog.

Before leaving for Florida last week, I participated in my first Team for Kids group run. I sprinted out of work to catch the subway and hustle uptown to meet the team in Central Park. We split into time groups and ran a loop around the park at an "easy" pace. I learned quickly that I have a different definition of the phrase "easy."

As we ran through the top of the park in Harlem, we passed a group of Mighty Milers in the midst of their after school workout. They were all dressed in matching blue NYRR shirts and lined up on the grass doing crunches. Seeing them was completely unexpected and quite moving. I saw some of the children who directly benefit from my fundraising efforts.

It was uplifting to share shootouts with the kids as we passed and eventually completed our 7 mile run. After stretching and saying goodbye to some of my new friends, I headed home completely fulfilled emotionally and physically for the night.

I really want to make an effort to attend more Team for Kids group runs during my training. The coaches and fellow runners provided amazing company and insight as we spent our run talking about anything and everything MARATHON.

Luckily, the rest of the week flew by and I was ready to jump on the plane home Wednesday night. I woke up early on Thursday morning to run with my dad because no trip home is complete without some endorphin filled father daughter bonding time. I crossed off my miles for the day and was officially in vacation mode.  

Once the California crew arrived, we headed down to the beach that afternoon. We settled ourselves and opened the doors for the cast of characters that would join us for the weekend. This was the second year in a row that we all spent the holiday together at the beach and some of us looked forward to it more than Christmas.  

I really wanted to keep up with my training over the weekend so G woke us up early on Saturday morning to run. I had 11 miles on my agenda and welcomed company for any of it. My cousin’s boyfriend MP joined us as well and thought he would be a big shot and run 13. Wait and see about that one…

G warned the California boy and stubborn New Yorker that running in Florida’s August heat would not be easy. I was home twice in July and powered through my runs so I didn’t see why this trip would be any different.

Our AWESOME route but not so awesome weather.

We lost G a few miles in but MP and I kept going until detouring home for water at mile 7. I was drenched to the point of discomfort but had great intentions of changing and getting back out there. A house full of distractions, fresh pot of coffee, and air conditioning distracted me from finishing up the 11 miles. G assured me that 4 miles would not make a difference in my fitness or training at this point. I believed her since she has a handful of marathons under her belt.

Do I regret not running the full 11 miles? Totally. I cut myself a break thinking that I would make them up later in the day or perhaps on Sunday.

Saturday night’s cartwheels on the beach kept me from running the additional miles on Sunday. Apparently, attempting to do a roundoff on the beach was not one of my best ideas in 2012. I haven’t done gymnastics since I was a child but thought that 25 was a good age to pick it back up. Also, I did not actually pull my groin as I dramatically proclaimed all night but didn’t feel up to physical activity the next day either.  
I blame the cartwheels on Frenchy's.

California lovin...
The holiday weekend in Florida was a true vacation and perfect end of summer celebration.

I spent time with family.

I soaked up the sunlight.

I totally checked out from work and other life stressors.  

You might even say that I forgot I was training and fundraising for a marathon? Not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing but it happened.

I decided to postpone my Monday run to Tuesday as a back to reality gift to myself. M was back in town and we had lots to catch up on. I planned to land in New York on Tuesday afternoon and meet her for a run through Central Park at the end of her work day. We were going to meet around 6 but instead of running through NYC I was sitting on a plane in North Carolina. Minor problem.

I felt anxious and guilty last night due to the weekend’s training hiccups. I had intentions of lacing up the sneakers to run once I finally returned home but the excessive hours of travel did a number on my overall energy levels. I woke up this morning and met M in the park for some morning miles to kick start our fall.

I am relieved to be back in my exceptionally humid home of NYC. I’m ready to buckle down and focus on November 4th.

Like I said, the big day is less than 2 months away which is frightening yet exciting.

LAST WEEK

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday (flex)
TOTAL
TFK Plan
7
REST
6
6
REST
11
6
30
LA
6
Rest

6
8
REST
7
0
27


THIS WEEK

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday (flex)
TOTAL
TOTAL (w flex)
TFK Plan
8
REST
7
6
REST
19
6
40
46
LA Plan
REST
X
8
7
REST
6
19 (Bronx 10 Miler + 9)
40



My fundraising deadline is approaching too!

The race is November 4th but you have up until October 5th to DONATE!

That’s a month from today so go ahead and check out my fundraising page to see how you can put another kid out there for an after school workout!


Lots of love and laughs.

XOXO
L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment