Monday, October 1, 2012

MO MONEY. LESS PROBLEMS.

I wasn’t planning on posting this week until Thursday (October 4th) but when I checked my email at work this morning I saw an exciting donation notification that woke me up better than a strong cup of coffee.

A very generous donation made this morning OFFICIALLY pushed me past my fundraising goal of $2,620 for Team for Kids!

See you later Fundraising nightmares!

I am now legitimately allowed to board the Team for Kids bus at dawn on November 4th and travel with my equally excited TFK teammates, mentors, and coaches to the starting area of the 2012 NYC Marathon.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT DONATED TO MY TEAM FOR KIDS FUNDRAISING. I KNOW I AM STILL TYPING IN CAPS BUT THIS IS GENUINELY HOW I FEEL WHEN I SAY “THANK YOU”.

Wow. This is a fantastic way to kick off a new week AND month!

Happy October everyone!

I’m sad to see September go because it was a pretty awesome month in training and life.

I ran 157 miles in the month of September. This included my 2nd longest run of the training schedule, 20 miles. I have 22 miles waiting for me in a few weeks but until then I am still riding on a “I ran 20 miles” high.

Last week was pretty uneventful but steady.  I made it to TFK practice on Monday and made some stellar new BEST marathon friends. I bonded with M and S over fatigued legs and mutually self-diagnosed plantar fasciitis.  

Speaking of plantar fasciitis, I finally went to my podiatrist on Friday morning to figure out what was going on in my right heel. I’ve felt pain for a few weeks now which I self-diagnosed as plantar fasciitis, very common in runners. Dr. B confirmed my self-diagnosis and being a marathoner herself, was not in the least bit surprised. She ordered me to lower my mileage, ice, and stretch for the next few weeks. If that doesn’t work I can come back for a cortisone shot. The cortisone shot does not sound enticing at all so I am sitting here with a frozen water bottle under my foot.

I planned to do last week’s long run of only 13 miles (yes, I did just say ONLY) on Saturday morning. I woke up feeling off and desperately wanted more sleep. I dragged myself out of bed for a Cliff bar which I ate but then fell back asleep. Oops? I bailed on the run along with all other plans for the day and instead dragged myself to a yoga class.

How was yoga? Miserable. I suck. No seriously, I bend like a metal rod. I thought running 20 miles was tough but let me tell you, this was MUCH tougher. I really liked the teacher and she gave me her weekly instruction schedule. It is FULL of class times that I can absolutely attend. With the race one month out and my body feeling the training effects, I NEED to make it a weekly event. Must. Stay. Motivated.

Sunday morning I attempted the long run for real. Thanks to an early bedtime and beautiful fall weather, I got out of the door and running in no time. I did 5 miles on my own and then met M for the last 8. We hadn’t run since Wednesday so there was TONS to chat about and the miles flew by. We treated ourselves to brunch after because why not? It was Sunday and we were feeling great.

On my way home I stopped at The Running Company for new running shoes. I’d been through their extensive fitting process before my first half marathon in January 2011. Since then, I’ve been a devoted Asics GT2160 girl. I buy them in bulk and then just swap out the shoes when a pair is worn out. So much about my running changed in the last 2 years so I figured it was a perfect time to get fitted again.

As a NYC runner, this is my absolute FAVORITE place to go. They have an insanely knowledgeable staff who provide out of this world customer service. An hour later I walked out a proud owner of Brooks Trance 11 shoes and ready to break them in at the next TFK practice. I also grabbed compression socks and a Foot Rubz foot massage ball. What did I spend? Details. I got so many new goodies!!!!!

This is a new week filled with semi-heavy mileage. Bring it!

I’m feeling great momentum thanks to REACHING MY FUNDRAISING GOAL.  

I’m totally ready to put in the miles this month. November 4th is coming, can you believe it?

THIS WEEK

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday (flex)
TOTAL
TOTAL (w flex)
TFK Plan
8
REST
8
7
REST
17
6
40
46
LA  Plan
8
REST/ Strength
8
7
REST/ Yoga
17
6
40
 46



LAST WEEK

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday (flex)
TOTAL
TOTAL (w flex)
TFK Plan
7
REST
7
6
REST
13
7
33
40
LA 
5
REST
7
REST
7
YOGA
13
32




Although I reached my fundraising goal, there is still plenty of time and reasons to donate. TEAM FOR KIDS is an outstanding organization that I am incredibly proud to support.  

Oh yeah and did I say THANK YOU? Honestly, thank you. Thank you for your overwhelming support financially and emotionally thus far. You’ve gotten me far in this journey and I finally feel like I can take it from here.  



Hope you all have an equally AWESOME start to your week and month!

Lots of love and laughs.

XOXO
L.A.

L.A.'s Team for Kids Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment