Monday, October 22, 2012

ARE YOU CRYING? THERE'S NO CRYING IN RUNNING!

Please note the reference to A League of Their Own...


Before I wanted to be a marathon runner, I wanted to be a Peach.

Training for my first marathon has been pretty seamless thus far. I’ve fought off nagging injuries while keeping a level head and managing to have a lot of fun. I’ve traveled a lot for both work and pleasure while fitting in almost all of the scheduled training miles. People warned that this would take over my life and force me into an underground running bunker but so far I haven’t felt that in the least bit.

I like to think that I can handle about anything. I am a genuinely happy person that chooses to look at the glass of life half full. This positive outlook and overall excitement has made this experience breakdown free….until this weekend.  

I am not really known for showing emotions. Don’t get me wrong I will laugh harder than anyone in a room but very few friends have actually seen me cry or admit weakness. These friends often refer to me as an “iron curtain” which is a long ways away from the Drama Queen LA in the glorious middle and high school days.

I started this blog to share my journey and at times felt guilty that I wasn’t complaining. I made lists of awesome and compiled everything that I am thankful for. I wrote glowing race recaps filled with new PRs and post-race brunches with friends. As my training comes to an end, the last 4 months finally caught up to me this weekend.

Saturday around midnight I had a full blown breakdown.

Hurricane LA blew into the bar that K was at to fight back tears and vent about being burnt out and over everything. I admitted my exhaustion from Philly travel and running what feels like a million miles a week. I also sent a few texts to some of my other closest friends full of Hurricane LA anxiety and cat emojis. Please, don’t ask about the cat emojis….

I left K after my impromptu Saturday night therapy was complete and headed home. I walked in the door and instantly the flood gates of tears opened up. I took off my eye makeup in the midst of sobs and jumped into bed in hopes that a good night of sleep would cure everything.

Why was I crying? And why couldn’t I make it stop?!?!?!

I finally realized and accepted that I was completely burnt out.

Physically, I have admitted the fatigue for weeks now.

Mentally, I have kept it together and followed my weekly schedules and to do lists to stay on track.

Emotionally, I just needed to lose it and I am totally fine in admitting that I did.

I can't believe that I am going to admit this to friends, let alone the internet... I actually cried (or sobbed) myself to sleep that night. I woke up with puffy eyes Sunday morning but also felt like a new person after my fabulous night of sleep. I didn't wake up to an alarm for the first time in weeks and was ready to get back on track. 

I care more about November 4th than anything else right now in my life, family and friends excluded.

I have never given so much of myself to something. This race is on my mind, in my heart, and clearly taking everything out of my body.

I am so insanely blessed to have this opportunity. I am beyond thankful for the chance to run this race, the physical heath which makes me able to do so, and the support group of loved ones that care about it almost as much as I do.

Many warned me about “taper crazies” and overall training breakdowns. I thought I was immune to them thanks to my “iron curtain” reputation and overall “deal with it” attitude in life. I am not immune or some superhero runner; I'm vulnerable and human.

I'm excited but also scared out of my mind to approach the starting line in Staten Island. I don’t really know how I am going to get myself over the 5 bridges or fly down 5th avenue. I don’t really know how my legs are going to withstand 26.2 miles of running but I guess in 12 days I will see.

Post breakdown yesterday I received this reassuring text from a marathoner friend, “Trust the training. You’re ready.”

You’re right A. No reason to waste time worrying. I’ve got this and need to spend my time doing more important things like emailing out race day orders to my marathon hype girls or finish planning the post-race party.

SPEAKING OF WHICH…. NYC Folks, if you are around in the afternoon/evening of November 4th feel free to come by Mason Jar. God willing, I will be stationed there post-race to celebrate the completion of the craziest 4 months of my life. The Wildcat will be in town and my marathon hype girls will be in full force.  I can’t guarantee that I will shower after the race, but I promise that any tears will be ones of pure happiness.

Wait! My Saturday was not just full of tears. I had a pretty awesome long run in the morning to finish up this marathon training madness.   


Saturday morning sidewalk chalk inspiration!


M and I trekked up to Central Park for the last weekend Team for Kids practice of this marathon season. TFK alumni were invited to join as we ran the final 10 miles of the race. We met the crew, stretched and headed out along 59th street to hit 1st avenue and begin our race day dress rehearsal.

I ran with my goal marathon pace group for the day and kept up just fine. High five!

1st Avenue was not too bad and the bridge into the Bronx was definitely bearable. All along the way, TFK alumni and coaches pointed out stellar spectating spots and passed along other bits of advice. We made our way through the Bronx and crossed the final bridge back into Manhattan.

This run in combination with my long one from last weekend is going to be invaluable to my success on race day. I am really relieved that in my training I tested out 4 of the 5 bridges and ran almost half of the course. I am usually fine with a foreign course on race day but not when the race is a full 26.2 miles with notorious spots of serious elevation.  

What can I expect on race day? I think I know but in all reality I am sure that I have no idea.

This past week’s taper was awesome! I should probably clarify that taper means cutting back mileage in an effort to let the body recover from the rigorous weeks of training and feel fresh for marathon day.

Last week I took Monday AND Tuesday off from running completely. I took a strength class Tuesday but didn’t lace up the sneakers until Wednesday morning. Earlier in my training I would have freaked out over this but I listened to my body and the guilt was gone.

I finished out the rest of the week strong although I didn’t do the full 13 on Saturday. The coaches told us we were only going to do 12 instead of 13 and strongly instructed us not to add on the extra mile. At this point, we will not gain fitness but rather fatigue and injury. Say no more, 12 it is!

LAST WEEK

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday (flex)
TOTAL
TOTAL (w flex)
TFK Plan
6
REST
7
6
REST
13
6
32
38
LA
REST
Strength
7
7
REST
12
4
30



This week the taper continues! The mileage is CRAZY low and I think I am looking forward to it? I am going to try to make strength class again and maybe even try for yoga? Sigh, a girl can dream…

THIS WEEK

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
TOTAL
TOTAL (w flex)
TFK Plan
6
REST
5
3
REST
REST
6
14
20
LA
Plan
6
Strength
5
3
REST
REST
6
14
20


Did I mention that I am running this race for an AMAZING charity with members and coaches that I adore? No? That’s funny I thought I did…


Lots of love and laughs (not tears)!

XOXO
L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment