Wednesday, October 31, 2012

MY POST-SANDY AND POWERLESS RACE WEEK

Hello world! I'm reporting live from the Hurricane Sandy aftermath in NYC.

I am currently taking refuge at a friends' apartment uptown that has electricity and water, it's such a luxury! I lost power Sunday night 15 minutes into Hocus Pocus and it has not been restored yet. Not being able to finish watching Hocus Pocus was probably the most devastating part of it all. Kidding! But not really...

We were told it would be days until the power was restored so after climbing up and down 10 flights of stairs in complete darkness, I knew my apartment in Murray Hill was not the place to be. Luckily, super generous and hospitable friends A and M on the upper east side took me in with a few other lower Manhattan runaways. How long am I staying? Great question. While everyone else is obsessing over the power situation and stalking the ConEd website, I am totally disinterested and slightly distracted.

In the midst of all of this Hurricane Sandy MADNESS I completely forgot about Sunday for a while. What's Sunday? Oh you know just this little MARATHON that I am supposed to be running. Right. About that...

As of now, NYRR says that everything 2012 NYC marathon related is ON as planned. We will hear in the next day or so if there are any changes to events or the race course but I have faith in the fantastic people of NYRR, especially Mary Wittenberg. She's a fearless leader.

Now that I am settled and safe with electricity uptown I guess I should start thinking about all of this marathon stuff. I need to pick up my race fuel, email my race day pep crew, and write the blog posts that I planned out for race week. I had this entire week mapped out in a word document schedule that is currently sitting on my work computer. I guess that's a problem since my office is completely without power too. Oh well, just add it to the agenda for today!

Okay. Now let's talk MARATHON...

I took off work on Friday to get my NYRR +1 volunteer credit for 2013. I will be volunteering all day at the marathon expo handing out race bibs to equally excited runners. Can you handle all of the positive energy that I am going to send out and soak in? It's going to be awesome!

Saturday I have an early morning Team for Kids breakfast. Sadly, practice was canceled Monday and tonight. I am especially bummed about practice tonight because we planned to do the final run of the training season in costume and were going to be joined by some of the kids. Oh well, next time...

The rest of the day Saturday I am planning to be somewhat sedentary and chill. This sounded like a great idea when I had a full week of work on the agenda but now that the rest of my week includes couch sitting and movie watching, it suddenly becomes less exciting.

(There's a good chance my office will not have power this week. Forgot to mention that!)

Sunday morning, it's game time! I'm taking the 6am Team for Kids bus to the starting area and then mentally preparing to run my legs off. Sounds so easy. Right?

If the course does not change, I will start in Staten Island on the Verrazano Bridge.

From there, I will make my way through Brooklyn and eventually take the Pulaski Bridge into Queens.

My time in Queens will be short but sweet as I prepare to cross the Queensboro Bridge and enter Manhattan.

Manhattan is when the party starts. My best college girlfriends plan to be stationed inside Manhattan on 1st Avenue which will be the only thing getting me over the bridge. After I pass them I will keep going up 1st Avenue and undoubtedly enjoy MARATHON ROCK STAR STATUS.

Dad and the rest of my marathon crew will be waiting up around 103rd. After some much needed high fives and perhaps a hug or two I will venture through the Bronx. This part of the route might seem dull but if I stay focused and know the end is near.

Dad and the rest of the crew will cross over to 5th Avenue for another sighting around mile 23. After I pass them, I will book it to Central Park and the finish line. "Book it" does not necessarily mean pick up speed but rather keep legs moving.

ING NYCM Course Map

God willing, I will cross the finish and officially become a marathoner.

I'll meet up with Dad and K after exiting Central Park and hustle down to Mason Jar.

Anyone and everyone that wants to celebrate post-marathon and Sandy life FEEL FREE to come by Mason Jar. It's located on 30th St between Park and Madison. We have tables reserved in the front for anyone that wants to eat, drink, and be merry.

How am I feeling about Sunday? Well physically I feel fantastic. I've completed all of my short runs during this taper and being stuck inside continues to provide me with an abundance of physical rest time. Instead of walking all over the city, I am parked with my feet up on the couch.

Training during a hurricane might be challenging but I am happy to report that tapering is a piece of cake.
I am IN to finish more than ever. 2012 NYCM. Let's do this. 

THANK YOU to all of the friends and family that reached out to me this week asking about my physical safety and the safety of the marathon! You sure know how to make a girl feel loved.

NYC will get through this and recover to be better than ever.

Sandy is long gone and it's a sunny day in NYC today. Life is good.

Lots of love and laughs.

XOXO
LA

No comments:

Post a Comment