Thursday, July 19, 2012

I CAME. I SAW. I COMIC-CONQUERED.

Below is a list of reasons why my time at Comic-Con reminded me of college spring break…

NO SLEEP- I didn’t sleep more than 3/4 hours a night mainly because of my east coast internal clock and 12+ hour work days.

LOTS AND LOTS OF FOOD- Thanks craft services, Café 21, Ghirardelli ice cream and Katsuya. I am coming back to you Clean Program!

NO VOICE- It’s impossible to compete with the noise of the costumed masses while assisting a street team. Free stuff is apparently the key to any Comic-Con attendee's heart. Have you ever been caught in a mini mob for a high demand portable fan? It's a sight.  

EXHAUSTION- Did I mention that I slept 4 hours a night and worked the other 18? I know that doesn’t equal 24 but it equals a tired L.A.

DETOX ME PLEASE- What didn't we overindulge in? Oh right, sleep.

A KILLER HEADACHE- Saturday night was fun. My head hurt on Sunday. Enough said.

The best part is that I would do it all again. Not tomorrow, but I hope soon.

I landed Tuesday night for my first trip to San Diego and adventure at Comic-Con. Being a true east coast girl, I woke up super early on Wednesday (4:45am actually) to get a jumpstart on my morning miles. I was determined not to let a week on the road interrupt my TFK training plan. I didn’t really know where I was going on this run but set out with my Garmin and hoped for the best.

I stumbled upon a fantastic route that went all along the San Diego harbor, past the Convention Center (Comic-Con headquarters), and finally brought me right to the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter. I ran through the streets checking out all the San Diego spots for my upcoming week. I really enjoyed this morning run and couldn’t wait to do it again.

San Diego's morning miles


Morning miles were on the agenda again for Thursday but this time I had fabulous company in not one but TWO running partners! My work friends G and P wanted to get their sweat on bright and early too.

I proudly guided the girls along my stellar new route.  We chatted, laughed and even got referred to as Charlie's Angels. I am sure the sight of three ladies running in sync along the San Diego harbor would give anyone that impression? Or maybe we were just special.

A morning run with these two girls was the perfect way to start a hectic and exciting work day. We also gave ourselves a pat on the back for making use of our sneakers, often forgotten on crazy trips like this.


The CHAOS that was the Gaslamp Quarter

The rest of my days were filled with delicious dinners, long hours standing in the sun, trips to the excitement overloaded Comic-Con convention floor, and dodging any and every costumed character you can imagine.


Meet my favorite friend from Comic-Con!


Unfortunately after Thursday work kicked into high gear. As if 12 hour work days weren’t enough, Friday we upped it to 18 hours which prevented any and every hope of time for a run. No sweat because I needed the rest.


Hanging at the lounge with G and P, the very best running partners and Comic-Con companions.

I wanted to wake up early on Saturday to complete my long run and cruise around my new hood, San Diego. However, an early morning call time and team breakfast put a damper on those plans. We finished our work event in the afternoon which would have been a perfect time to finally run those 11 miles but again team bonding and celebratory spirits were calling my name! The training schedule took a back seat to my pressing work agenda and even more pressing social obligations.

WE SURVIVED!

I was disappointed in myself for skipping the long run but a reassuring marathoner friend told me that this would not be catastrophic to my TFK training schedule. Plus, I had a pretty good excuse. Have you had a Café 21 sandwich and margarita? If so, you’d understand.

Living out the phrase "work hard play hard" is how we ended our trip. The week concluded with a party Saturday night where I got my final San Diego work out in… dancing!  I hope the attendees all enjoyed the signature L.A. hair flips. You'll have to wait for the holiday party for that move to come out again.

At the party we all cut lose on the dance floor, at smile booth, and beyond. I've said it before but I really mean it. I am lucky to work with some amazing people. We spent a week running around San Diego working our tails off but treated ourselves to Saturday night.


Smilebooth antics with P

Sunday morning I woke up feeling very fresh (sarcasm) and began my journey back to NYC. I was scheduled to land at 9p ET that night so I figured I could drop my bags at my apartment and get in one last run for the week. However, the higher beings of travel had different plans for me. Apparently an hour delay on the runway, seven plus hours of flying, and an unexpected stop in upstate New York to refuel were on my travel agenda. I walked in the door to my apartment at 2am. I chose to sleep instead of run. Monday was a new day and a new week. 

This week back has been an adjustment. I spent Monday attempting to recover from the pandemonium that was Comic-Con. Oddly enough, there are moments that I really miss it. I miss the people I met, the people I worked with and most importantly the people that were the objects of my people watching. 

Now that I am back to reality, the week has gone well with training runs. I am back on track and heading out after work tonight to keep the momentum going.

This weekend I was scheduled to travel to DC with A to visit two of my very favorite cousins. However, A got strep throat and I found out Tuesday that I would be traveling for another work event this weekend. We had to postpone but not cancel. DC and your cupcakes, I am still coming for you!

The best part about this weekend's event is that it is happening in TAMPA! I called my mom on Tuesday to inform her I would be working at the venue where I went to basketball camp and saw my first concert (NSYNC and Britney, duh).

I leave tomorrow morning and will be hanging around until Sunday night. I know that there is no better place to rest and recover than at home. I will hopefully get some Florida sunlight and perhaps a pedicure for my running damaged feet. My feet could audition for the next Flintstones movie. TMI?

While I am home, I want to try to make up my missed long run from last week.  My Florida marathoner friend sent me a great route. I am going to wake up early Saturday morning, put on the sneaks and get out the door.

LAST WEEK


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
(flex)
Total
Total (w/flex)
TFK Plan
5
REST
6
5
REST
11
5
27
32
L.A.
5
REST
6
4
REST
REST

REST
15


THIS WEEK


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
(flex)
Total
Total (w/flex)
TFK Plan
6
REST
6
5
REST
7
5
24
29
L.A.
Plan
7
REST
6
5
REST
11

5
29
34



NOW let's talk about the dolla dolla bills! Thank you SO much to everyone that has donated to my Team for Kids fundraising thus far. I hit a huge milestone this past week. I've officially raised over $1,000 for Team for Kids. Yay! 

There is still plenty of time to donate to my NYC Marathon fundraising! The deadline is October 5th but for my mental sanity, just go ahead and donate today if you are feeling generous.


What's on your weekend agenda? Make use of your sneakers if you can!

Lots of love and laughs.

XOXO
L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment