Monday, July 23, 2012

NOMAD SUMMER CONTINUES

As I mentioned in my last post, after working a week at Comic-Con I found out that a last minute event in Tampa was next up on my agenda. I eagerly volunteered and flew down Friday morning to work an event at the Sun Dome that night.  I didn’t bother to put away the suitcase from San Diego. Instead, I threw some clean clothes in with the dirty ones and was packed for my next journey.

Disclaimer: I didn't take out the dirty ones in hopes that my mom would feel generous upon my impromptu visit home. My plan worked! I landed in NYC last night with a suitcase full of clean clothes for a new week of running and work. She’s the best, I know.

My human alarm clock and running partner woke me up fully dressed in his running gear at 6:45am Saturday morning asking if I was ready to go. Umm no? But an hour later I was dressed and attempting to motivate myself out the door. I planned to run the 11 miles from San Diego that I skipped since I'd felt guilty about them all week. The original TFK schedule had 7 miles on the agenda for this weekend but adding the extra 4 gave me some peace of mind and a feeling of penance.

Dad joined me for the first 4 ½ and I spent the remainder 6 ½ cruising through the neighborhood. I passed by my old softball fields, the house on Sleepy Hollow, and various other spots of hometown memories.

Thankfully as the temperature outside reached 95 degrees my Garmin reached 11 miles and I was more than happy to return home. I quickly swapped the sweaty running clothes for a swimsuit and took off for the pool. I spent the rest of the afternoon recovering in the water while working on the dreaded runners tank tan lines. Mission impossible.

While many of you got ready for wild nights out on the town Saturday, I snagged samples at Costco and peer pressured my sister into awkward situations for my entertainment (see photos below). I also helped Mom and Dad pick out new frames for their glasses. After hearing all of this, who wouldn't want to come home?!?!


Look K, the bear is your size.

Jump in K, it will be funny.


We ended our day with dinner at Ella's. If you live in Tampa, you MUST check out this quirky and charming restaurant.  The food was fantastic and it’s not a chain. In Florida, that’s a novelty.

The sister bonding time on Saturday was just a pregame for our main event on Sunday. We woke up bright and early to catch a 9am showing of "Katy Perry: Part of Me 3D". Yes, movies are shown at 9am on a Sunday and I highly recommend them. We made up 50% of the audience and were quite a sight in tie dye shirts and yoga pants. Get in line fellas!


Baby, you're a firework
Come on, let your colors burst!

But seriously, Katy Perry 3D was AMAZING! I know I have a well-deserved reputation of being an adult teenybopper but really, it was awesome! I walked out joking (or not) about leaving my job to join her crew of BFFs and backup dancers. I mean who wouldn't want to run around a stage wearing a tutu and sneakers while rocking out to "Firework"? Okay, I will focus on my first goal of running a marathon and but this one is next. Katy P on November 5th I am calling you!

Back to running soon, I promise…

Post movie we picked up frozen yogurt and I soaked up my last hours of Tampa time. We had a great dinner before I unhappily made my way to the airport.

After a jam packed month of unprecedented stress and travel, this unexpected trip home (and movie) was just what I needed. My travel plans were made very last minute and my agenda had very little on it. I enjoyed just being in the moment and spending time with the people I care about. Oh yeah, and running some quality miles too.  

Back to running now, I really promise…

Last week's training went well. I felt pretty guilty after my San Diego skips so I tried to make up for them on Monday and Saturday. Thursday's miles were painful (mentally and physically) and on a treadmill but thanks to Anger Management and The Real Housewives of OC reunion, I got through them. As expected, I felt much better after because you never regret a workout. Blah, blah, blah.

This week I want to try to make a TFK team training run or two. They're such an asset to marathon training and finally my work and personal schedules should give me the chance to join in the fun. Saturday is the ING New York City Marathon Long Training Run #1 in Central Park. I have a hot date with some fellow November 4th runners at 7am in the morning. That's going to be fun?

This week I am going to try to run ALL of the scheduled training miles on ALL of the scheduled training days. For the first time in July, I’m going to be home in New York for the ENTIRE week and want to capitalize on this stability in my training schedule. Next week might be a little bit crazy with out of town guests and my best friend’s wedding festivities in Philly so I am going to make this week a good one in case next week goes to the birds.

LAST WEEK


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Total
Total (FLEX)
TFK Plan
6
REST
6
5
REST
7
5
24
29
L.A.

7
REST
6
5
REST
11 (San Diego Makeup)
REST
29




THIS WEEK


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Total
Total (FLEX)
TFK Plan
6
REST
6
6
REST
13
5
31
36
L.A. Plan

6
REST/ Strength
6
6
REST
13
5
31
36



BIG NEWS! I am almost half way to my fundraising goal ($2,620)! I can’t say thank you enough to all of the superstar readers, friends, family members, and colleagues that have followed one of the many hidden TFK links and donated. I am aware that I’m totally nuts for wanting to run 26.2 miles on a Sunday morning in November but thank you for appreciating the crazy and supporting my dream.

Next up, I will be home in NYC for 10 straight days! I know, it's a miracle. Now it's time to sleep, eat clean, and run with the TFK program.

Lots of love and laughs.

XOXO
L.A.

My Team for Kids Fundraising Page

No comments:

Post a Comment