Tuesday, July 3, 2012

NYRR QUEENS 10K RACE RECAP

This time tomorrow my plane will be landing in sunny FLO-RIDA. That makes me happy and so did this weekend. Want to hear about it?  

Last week, I took a much needed “Summer Friday” to run a sweaty 8 miles in the morning and then head to Philly. Saturday was the Bridal Shower for N, one of my very best friends. It was exciting to watch her open gifts like Christmas morning and spend the day honoring this beautiful bride. Now, we just need her to invite us over for a girl’s night to test out those brand new wine glasses.  

After the shower festivities, I jumped on a bus back to NYC for my Sunday morning race in Queens.

Had I traveled to Queens before? Negative.

Was I running the race with anyone fun? Nope.

Wasn’t there a heat wave this weekend? You better believe it.

All of those factors made me a little nervous and apprehensive about the race on Sunday. My first fear was immediately calmed when I walked into the subway station and spotted fellow runners. Lucky for me, someone knew where they were going because I was blindly following these strangers.

After picking up my bib I ran into my college friend Frenchie (don’t judge the nickname) who was killing time before the start with his friend D. D and I became fast friends as we bonded over the miserable heat and our lack of interest in this race. Just when I thought I really liked D, she told me she ran the NYC Marathon with TFK too! Now D was my homegirl. She offered training tips and shared the fundraising woes. Hanging with Frenchie and D definitely helped pass the time before I had to drag myself to the start.

Once in the corral, I told myself repeatedly that this wasn’t a day to pay any attention to time. I tell myself that every race and usually disregard once I cross the starting line. However, this race was different. The weather conditions were not favorable (to say the least) and the course offered no escape from the scorching sun. I also forgot a hat, sunscreen, and to wear a tank top. Nice.  

Mary Wittenberg, the NYRR President & CEO, asked everyone before the race to treat today as a long run instead of an opportunity to set a PR. I took her advice and set out to enjoy the ride. Surprisingly, my splits were not that much slower than my previous race. I could deal with my time knowing that I would make it to the finish line safe and sound.

NYRR wasn’t messing around with the heat and took ample precautions for all of us running in what felt like an oven. There were water stations all over and even misters to run through. This was the first time in a race that I saw almost every single runner stop at almost every single water station. Usually, we are too stubborn to stop in fear of ruining a killer pace. Not only were we stopping for water, but people were even walking through the stations and taking their sweet time before starting back up. I didn’t have to stop and walk at any point of the race. Who cares about a PR? That alone was a huge victory!

Cruising in Queens...

A lot of people moped in the finish area bemoaning the race. Sure, it was hot but I actually enjoyed myself. I met some new friends, ran a different course, and crossed the finish line in the upright position. It wasn’t my best race but it certainly wasn’t my worst. No complaints from this girl.

Just as I was heading to the subway in an exhausted daze, I was tapped on the shoulder and asked to take a picture. I turned around and saw two guys wearing snazzy lime green TFK running tanks. I squealed at them and exclaimed, “I’m running with you guys in November!” Everyone’s moods went from exhaustion to excitement. Well, maybe not everyone but definitely me? It was a quick chat but put some serious pep in my step as I headed home to Manhattan.

I was back by 10:15am and even beat the crowds at Trader Joe’s. Happy LA!

Today is Tuesday and I’m looking forward to a new week of training. TFK gives us a rest day tomorrow in honor of the holiday, so I will do so on the beach. Skinnygirl Margarita me, please!

This week, I am going to try to stick to the TFK plan to hit all of my miles.


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday (flex)
Total
Total w/ Flex
TFK Plan
5
Rest (Strength)
Rest
5
Rest
9
5
19
24

How was last week? A success!



Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
(flex)
Total
Total (w/flex)
TFK Plan
5
REST
6
4
REST
8
4
23
27
LAH Plan
5
Strength
6
REST
8
REST

6
NYRR Queens 10K
25


Speaking of Team for Kids, let’s talk fundraising J

Thank you SO much to everyone that has donated thus far! I really can’t express how much I appreciate your generosity. Only $1,910 left to go! It's less than 2K, I'll take it.

Haven’t donated yet? No worries, you can throw a little cash towards the kids RIGHT HERE!

Happy (almost) July 4th everyone!

Lots of love and laughs.

XOXO
L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment