Tuesday, November 6, 2012

NOVEMBER 4TH

After the marathon’s cancellation I dreaded November 4th.

November 4th. Anything special? Nah, not really...

I thought that I would be depressed feeling incredibly unaccomplished on this lack of a race day.

Instead, I had one of the best days EVER.

I woke up with a pit in my stomach and a heavy heart. I wanted so badly to be on a bus to the starting line with my fellow Team for Kids teammates.

Luckily M offered to run Central Park with me in the morning. I knew that a few miles in my “happy place” with my favorite training partner would be needed. I thought it would lift my spirits but had no idea that it would put me on cloud nine.

I entered the Park with M like every other morning but this time what we ran into was so much different. The Park was filled with THOUSANDS of runners all wearing their respective marathon gear. Some wore their international uniforms or charity singlets while others sported this year’s bright orange marathon shirt. The positive energy and unity overwhelmed me. I cried when I started running on East River Drive. I cried tears of pure happiness for the first time during this rollercoaster of emotions week. 

Mile 26. That's funny. 

The sides of the “course” were filled with people handing out water bottles to the runners, some of which were attempting the full 26.2 miles. Support sections were spread out all over the Park with an abundance of fans cheering each and every one of us all on. In a week where the marathon was surrounded by so much animosity, this positivity kicked it all right out the door.   

Water!

Cheering! 

FINISH LINE!



I was amazed at the mass number of us out there Sunday morning running without a race. Then I remembered that we are runners. This is what we do. When life hands us lemons, we put on our sneakers and run it away. I ran my pain away Sunday.


Who's excited for 2013?!?!?!

I left the Park with peace in a full heart. 

I was proud to call myself a New Yorker and almost a marathon runner.  

My dad still came to visit me for the day. I knew that if there was anyone that could make me feel like a superstar, it would be my biggest fan. He stocked my fridge, filled my stomach, and even left me with a new bottle of wine. He’s the best.

Many friends including my TFK teammate M still wanted to get together in the evening and celebrate. We had the reservation for our post-race party and many of our friends wanted to put this to good use. We obliged and I spread the word to any and all other marathon mourners.

We didn't race but we could still celebrate! 

I’ve never felt more loved than I did Sunday night. I don’t know how I got so lucky to have these amazing people in my life. My friends came out in full force and made me feel like I ran the marathon and won it all. They gave me hearty hugs, shared kind words of encouragement, and put a smile back on my face.

Wildcat story time. 
It was humbling beyond words.

I feel like I hit the lottery when it comes to the outstanding people that I call my closest friends. Oh yeah and my Dad is pretty awesome too.

Thank you to everyone for the thoughtful words over the last few days. I know that my loss pales in comparison to so many others right now but thank you for caring. I’ve had strangers read this blog and offer encouragement. I’ve had family members contact my mom to see if I am okay. I even had one rockstar aunt offer to run the marathon with me in 2013. Hi Aunt S!

Again, I really don’t know how I got so lucky to have all of you in my life.  

I don’t really know what’s next for me. I don’t have any immediate plans for a replacement marathon and that is by choice. I am waiting to hear from NYRR about the next steps and then I will take it from there.

I do know for a fact that I will keep running... because I am a runner and that’s what I do.

Lots of love and laughs!

XOXO
LA

No comments:

Post a Comment