Tuesday, November 13, 2012

RACE WEEK THE REMIX

Race week?

You better believe it.

Friday afternoon, just hours after writing this insanely positive and grateful POST I received an email from my new friends at the Philly Marathon.


Best time of my life? I sure hope so.

Earlier in the week they opened a lottery to offer 3,000 race entries to NYC Marathon runners.

I entered and decided to “let fate takes it course.”

The lottery closed at 5pm on Thursday and at 5:01 I didn’t have an email confirmation so naturally I started the pity party and headed right to A’s apartment for a liquid dinner of Pinot Noir.

I decided that this just wasn’t my year for a marathon. Oh well, it was a great experience.

Fast forward to Friday... Still no email or race fee charge on my credit card. The pity party continued and I left the office for a lunch in honor of a departing co-worker. While sitting around chit chatting and wishing her well I decided to check my Gmail just for fun…

BOOM. There it was. WELCOME TO THE PHILADELPHIA MARATHON LA!

Things went from pity to just PARTY. I was officially running the Philadelphia Marathon in just 9 short days. Game on.

My hands were shaking for the rest of the workday. I am not sure if it was from excitement or anxiety but my head remained in another stratosphere.

Unfortunately this weekend’s long run had to wait until Sunday. Saturday was my brother’s last college football home game against their biggest rival. I traveled to Philly to celebrate the BroMan and his teammates as they defeated Harvard and earned their 3rd Ivy Championship during their 4 years. Talk about studs.

Jr & Sr Ivy Champ Celebrations

When celebrations ended I headed back to NYC for a long run or as my legs would call it, shock therapy. Since the race cancellation, I was running casually but not putting in marathon training miles. I set out on Sunday to hit 10-15 miles and make sure that I could actually pull this off.

My Garmin was dead and Map My Run is the worst app ever so I really just set out to track myself with time. I ran for a little over 2 hours so I am assuming I ran around 13 miles. I stopped along the way for water and any other distractions that came my way. The first few miles hurt and it definitely took some time to run the kinks out. By mile 6, I was cruising and spent the rest of the time thinking about everything and anything Philly marathon.

So that brings us to today, Day 2 of RACE WEEK THE REMIX . Things are a little different this time around as I am sleeping in my own bed, eating well, and avoiding any and all alcohol. I am going to try to do EVERYTHING right this week because some other factors (cough cough training in the last 2 weeks) have not been ideal. I am hoping it will all even out? 

My travel to Philadelphia for the weekend is booked and my incredibly generous friend S is giving us her Philadelphia apartment for the race night. Us?!?!?? Well naturally K and A are coming with and had trains picked out before I even returned to my desk after lunch on Friday.  They’re the best.

How do I feel about this Sunday? I’m excited. I’m nervous. I’m grateful. I’m ready to run for some NYCM redemption.

“Like the marathon, life can sometimes be difficult, challenging and present obstacles, however if you believe in your dreams and never ever give up, things will turn out for the best.” - Meb Keflezighi, U.S. Olympic marathoner
Lots of love and laughs!

XOXO
LA

No comments:

Post a Comment